I left a piece of my Heart in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam’s name derives from Amstelredamme, indicative of the city’s origin as a dam of the river Amstel.  It is one of the greatest small cities in the world and is known for its tolerance and diversity.  The City is known for its vast known museums but there is more to the place that made me fall in love. The people itself are very respectful and kind. 

The Famous I Amsterdam
It was a long time plan to visit Amsterdam, not only because of its beauty but I was longing to visit my good friend Chad and his wife Helden.  They were so kind enough to accept us all in their humble abode and treated us like their family.  We had a Dutch dinner prepared by Helden for our first night which followed by visiting the famous RED light district or De Wallen in Dutch.  There will be no photos for those sexy (almost naked) ladies as it is not allowed but I was totally shocked to see such kind of amusement.  It is a network of alleys containing small rooms rented by prostitutes who offer their sexual services from behind a window or a glass door, typically illuminated with RED lights.  This is a most visible typical kind of sex work in Amsterdam which is totally legal and a large tourist attraction.  

It was then that I had my first taste of the space cake.

When you see coffee shops around especially in the RED light district area, they actually mean selling drugs like marijuana and hashish.  They are allowed to sell small amounts of cannabis and are strictly regulated and taxed.  Furthermore, they do not sell more than 5g to any customer and hard drugs are strictly prohibited.  

My first Dutch dinner with Helden's Family


The beauty of Amsterdam is somewhat distinct from all the other countries that I had visited.  I felt at peace and happy here.  The beauty of Amsterdam. 

Waddenweg area
it's all about the small red car
Amsterdam Central
The outskirts of Amsterdam is beyond beautiful.  The first stop of our tour is the BROEK IN WATERLAND NOORD.  This place feels so homey and comfy.  I told them I want to retire here (in my dreams). 



The second stop is the 
MONNICKENDAM - is a rather smaller place, not that far from the City of Amsterdam. 



The third stop is the 
MARKEN - it is known for its characteristic wooden houses and traditional costumes. 


The picturesque little village was originally situated on an island.  Floods were regular which the inhabitants thought of creating an artificial dwelling hills on which they build their own houses.  Fishery is the main economic activity.




The fourth and the last stop is VOLENDAM - is a popular tourist attraction in the Netherlands, well known for its old fishing boats, traditional clothing still worn by some residents and cheese. 




This was our lunch and my favorite is HERRING

The best part of eating in Amsterdam is the fresh seafood and my favorite which I really miss eating is "HERRING."  It is sold in the street stands with a very strong taste.  Dutch raw herring is very popular in Amsterdam.  (ITS A MUST when in Amsterdam).


We had an opportunity to understand how Dutch cheese are processed and how Netherlands became one of the largest cheese producer in the world.

We finished our tour in Volendam and we were invited to have a Filipino dinner in Tita Myrna's (Helden's mom) place.  It was a sumptuous dinner after a long tiring day which was of course prepared by Tita herself.




The following day was another day tour for a Heineken experience, Anne Frank museum (I will be making another blog about this for the love of TFIOS) and some stroll around the city.

The experience will never be complete without visiting IAmsterdam.


I have to take a snap in between M and S (the initials of my whole family).  It's amazing!!

Heineken experience is the site of the company's old brewery.  It was renovated and they made it an attraction with a self-guided tour that will make you sea, hear, smell and taste Heineken.  Here, we learned the Heineken family history, was able to see the Heine commercials from all over the world through the years.  There was a multimedia exhibit where you actually become a beer - you'll get shaken up, heated and sprayed with water.  Afterwards, you get to down a couple of cold freshly made beer.





We met Chad and Helden in the afternoon and they had planned to bring us to the most famous and delicious SPARE-RIBS UNLIMITED for only 9.95euros in Leidseplein (if I'm not mistaken).  It was unbelievably tasty and the service was pretty fast.  I'm drooling once again while seeing this spare ribs.  I have to be back in Amsterdam. 




The last day was the shopping day to Bataviahaven Lelystad, it is far from the City as we had travelled an hour to get there by train.  This day was my favorite not only for the shopping but because we are all complete (Helden and Chad were off from work).
  



Bataviawerf in Lelystad


And the rest of the afternoon was SHOPPING.  I never really go to shop when I travel but I made an exception to this one.  It was very cheap for a fashion outlet.  The place is full of major brands and with a reasonable discounts. 
Helden and Chad's family in Amsterdam
I am greatly honored to meet Helden's family and thankful to them for accepting us like a family.  It was a heavy heart when Daddy (Helden's uncle) and Chad dropped us to Amsterdam Central.  I was teary eyed leaving such a wonderful place with great people.  I am able to finish this blog because of you guys. I  simply and undeniably missed you all.  It's been five months since I visited and it feels like forever already.  'Til we meet again.

This is indeed the first City (I travelled) that I left a certain piece of my heart.
  
Thank You from both of US.

Watch out Amsterdam vid edited by my boyfriend: 


RiggiMia+Europe from Riggi Neis on Vimeo.

I hope you guys enjoyed as much as I do.

Love


M xo


TO GOD BE THE GLORY.



Disclaimer:

This is a personal blog.  The opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of my employer.


In addition, my opinions may change from time to time.  I consider this an open-minded consequence of my thoughts and personal views.  This blog is intended to provide a semi-permanent point at the time being and as such any thoughts and opinions expressed may vary in the near future. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peek-a-boo....pink or blue. A blessing from Heaven.

I am Home - My Beach Summer Wedding

I said "YES" in Osaka, Japan.